Holidays usually mean candy canes, pies, and other yummy stocking stuffers; however, it can also mean an increase in decay-producing bacteria from sugar and acid, for both children and adults. Read on to learn how you can reduce the chances of cavities and keep your oral health in tiptop shape:
– Cut down on sweets for the stocking, and opt instead for Chapstick, hair accessories, socks, or small bouncing balls, cars, and other fun trinkets for children
– Instead of candy canes on the tree, make some ornaments with your children and adorn it with tinsel and other bright colors
– Include toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss as stocking stuffers, to remind kids of the importance of keeping their teeth clean
– Make memories! Go to a fun holiday movie, see holiday lights, go ice skating, or build a snowman with your loved one/ones
– Instead of a sugary candy bowl, put out peppermints made of Xylitol, or sugar-free and reduced sugar candies
– Brush and floss your teeth more often, if you are eating an increased amount of sugary sweets
– Get a thorough cleaning and oral examination at Aria Irvani DDS after the holidays, so if you do ingest more yummy goodies this holiday season, you can start anew for the new year, with clean and polished teeth!
If it’s been a while since you have been to your dentist, this is a great time to get an appointment with Dr. Aria Irvani. Contact us at 949-458-5858 and get more information about maintaining your oral health in Foothill Ranch, California. We look forward to hearing from you soon!